Standardizing Genomic Testing into Clinical Pathways
Clinical DNA sequencing allows the detection of genetic mutations in both germline and somatic cells. Applications of this rapidly expanding field pertain not only to Mendelian inherited disorders but to many pervasive chronic diseases such as cancer. With the rapid advancements in technology, the incorporation of genetic testing into clinical pathways is leading the way to improve efficiency and safety, while lowering the long-term costs of healthcare.
This insights paper includes:
- Several examples of applications of next generation sequencing (NGS) testing technology
- Beneficial impacts genetic testing has on patient outcomes
- Advantages of integrating genomic medicine into clinical pathways
- Approaches for creating successful pilot programs
- Recommendations for development of a fundamental testing framework